History of Jackson School – By Ginny Mapes; local Historian
Today Jackson School Lavender farm stands where the old Jackson School once stood. The large trees are still there. Trees that once sheltered a pony while the owner, Vivian Weisenbach attended school.
Stepping back in time . . . . Jackson School was established in 1851 and named for the Jackson family since the land was part of their Donation Land Claim. This first building was a log cabin.
On July 1, 1885, a two-acre site was purchased from Robert and Amanda Newell for $100.
A second schoolhouse was built in the southwest corner with a board rail fence around the yard.
The building was 35 feet long, 23 feet wide, and 14 feet high with three windows on each side. There was a double door in front.
In 1901 a porch was built. In 1928 the porch as removed and a clock room added. A play shed was built around 1932 and a garage added at a later date.
There were a few trees in front of the school. Vivian Weisenbach rode her Cayuse pony to school and would time him to a tree. One day she was very surprised to discover her “Strawberry Roan” had headed for the hills without her. Vivan had to walk home.
When the old woodshed on the east side of the school was torn down a registered elm tree was planted. However, it never grew due to a lack of water in the summertime.
For some years around 1930 on, each child bought soup or stew in pint jars. At 11:30 a.m. a boiler was put on the stove and the jars were placed in it to warm. This was the “hot lunch program” of those days.
Joe Meek was clerk of the school from 1866 to 1873. Mail was received through the Glencoe Post Office.
Directors of Jackson School were: for 1876, Geo. Barrett, Sam Elliott and Geo. Ross; for 1884, John Freeman, J. W. Goodin, and John W. Jackson; for 1897, J. W. Jackson, J. W. Goodin, W. L. Batchelder, and Joseph Connell, Clerk. . . .
The county superintendent’s book states that a teaching certificate was issued to a Miss Olive Meek on April 7, 1864. She became a teacher at Jackson School.
In 1865 school was held for only one-fourth of the year, and the average daily membership was 20; and that 45 different students had been enrolled during the term. Children ages 4 — 20 years were eligible for school attendance.
By 1873 school was taught for two quarters and had an average daily attendance of 21 ½.
The water was not very good at the school as many students recall. Vivan Lucas remembered the students had to cross the road going over to the Jackson’s water pump at the end of their porch to get a bucket of water for the school each day. The bucket of water was poured into a crock and all the students drank from the same dipper.
In 1939 records state a “new well, but not yet approved as the water shows only a ‘B’ test.”
The building of homes continued in the area with many more families adding children to the rural schools which were already crowded.
There was an election on January 14, 1946, to consolidate all the smaller districts into West Union. West Union had a newer, larger building so Jackson, Shute, Roc Creek, and Helvetia were consolidated into West Union District #1.
In 1948 there was a new West Union School built and all the smaller schools became part of the West Union.
The Jackson School building was still standing in 1951. At some point in time after that, a new residence was built. It is now Jackson School Lavender.
Photo: 1889-90 Jackson School building with a fence around the schoolyard and logs at the side of the building for heating the woodstove. Privies were in the back, one for boys and one for girls.
Some children have lard buckets carrying their lunch.
Most of the girls on one side, boys on the other.
1889 Students: Gertie Pasley, Jeannie Connell, Lennie Pasley, Winnie Lincoln, Allie Connell, Edith Johnson, Mabel Jackson, Maud Johnson, Letitia Jackson, Annie Heath, teacher Annie Meacham, Frank Jackson, George Meacham, Clyde Lincoln, Will Joos, Stanley Riley, Oral Fowler, Jeffie Johnson, Will Meacham, John Connell, Frank Fowler, George Gibson,
Oral Meacham, Joe Shinn, and Ward Fowler. Annie Gibson Mary Joos
1st Row: Bert Walters, McKnight, Elmer Payne, Dayton Mays [crossed bats, mitt, and flowers], Ralph Payne, Eddie Krug
2nd Row: Gladys Lincoln, Tillie Krug, Dora Farnham, Emma Krug, Pearl Bettis, Ethel Kinser, Blanche Walters, and Dave Payne [hat on his knee, mitt, and flowers]
3rd Row: Lizzie Bettis, Elmer Batchelder, Ben Krug, Art Connell, and Edward Walters
4th Row: Cecil Van Kirk, Alice Hunchild, teacher, _________, Grace Jackson, Edison Kinser, and Paul Exline.