The Oldest Remaining Structures In Washington County

 By HHS Member Matt Andersen

Here is a list that are to the best our knowledge the oldest surviving structures in Washington County, Oregon.  While not all in Hillsboro, our work here will document the assets and Cultural Resources of the Region.  Just as it was back in those early times, we are all connected and must support each other as people and communities to preserve our history.  Have a look at these amazing structures.  Our list may not be 100% accurate so please contact us here to nominate any deserving buildings!  This is painstaking work so please let us know what you know.  Enjoy!


  • 1848/ca. 1860 – Silas Jacob N. Beeks and Mary A. Beeks House (original 1848 core surrounded by a circa 1860 expansion); 3869 NW Martin Road, Verboort

  • 1850 – Old College Hall; 2043 College Way (Pacific University campus), Forest Grove


  • 1853 – West Union Baptist Church; 22365 NW West Union Road, Hillsboro


  • 1853 – Andrew Jackson Masters and Sarah Jane Masters House; 20650 SW Kinnaman Road, Reedville 


  • 1853 – Washington County Jail (“Old Log Jail”); 17677 NW Springville Road (Five Oaks Museum facility on Portland Community College’s Rock Creek campus), Bethany


  • Richard Evert “Dick” Wiley and Mary Jane Baldra Wiley House – Built 1855 – Jackson School Road, Hillsboro, Oregon – 6770 NW Jackson School Road, Hillsboro, Oregon


  • 1856 – Alvin Thompson “God-Almighty” Smith and Abigale Smith House; 240 Elm Street, Forest Grove


  • 1857 – James Luster House (remodeled in the early 1900s to present Craftsman style); 9030 SW Sagert Street, Tualatin


  • 1858 – John Sweek and Maria Sweek House, “Willowbrook” (often erroneously reported to have been called “Meadowbrook”); 18815 SW Boones Ferry Road, Tualatin


  • 1858 or 1859 – Stephen Blank and Parthena M. Blank House (“Old Stagecoach Stop”); 2117 A Street, Forest Grove


  • 1859 – Augustus Fanno and Rebecca Jane Fanno House; 8405 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton  


  • 1859 – Thomas Madison Hines and Mary Elizabeth Hines House; 1604 Birch Street, Forest Grove


  • 1864 – Henry Black House; 4799 NW Visitation Road, Verboort T

ns are the ones w


ho live there. Maybe contact Patty to get a picture?

  • 1865 – James Washington Chambers and Mary Chambers House; 24655 NW Groveland Drive, Hillsboro


  • 1866 – Robert Imbrie and Mary Ann Imbrie House, “The Gables”; 4045 NE Cornelius Pass Road, Hillsboro

The Imbrie Farmhouse


  • 1867 – Samuel R. “Sam” Hughes and Georgia A. Hughes House; 2111 Hawthorne Street, Forest Grove  


  • 1868 – James C. Smock and Mary Ellen Smock House (reported to have originally been the Amos Z. Hall House); 22564 SW Park Street, Sherwood


  • 1869 – John Quincy Adams Young and Elizabeth Young House; 12050 NW Cornell Road, Cedar Mill


  • 1873 – Benjamin Cornelius, Jr. and Rachel Cornelius House; 2314 19th Avenue, Forest Grove